Wednesday, January 8, 2014

2014 Reading List

10 of the top books I plan on reading (or have already started reading) in 2014.

  1. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
    • Why: I've never been much of a non-fiction reader, but reading Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg last summer made me realize I should read more of that genre of book. For some reason, I used to always think about books all about the anatomy and habits of frogs whenever I heard the words "non-fiction." But they can actually be pretty interesting. Not only is Quiet critically acclaimed, but I watched Susan Cain's TedTalk and I found the topic very interesting. Also, I consider myself mildly introverted, so it should lead to a lot of self-reflection, which as a somewhat introverted person, I love.
  2. The Time Keeper, Mitch Albom
    • Why: A couple of months ago I had this idea for some kind of writing piece involving Space and Time as characters (I may post this on here at some point). A couple weeks after I wrote down a few plans for this piece, I found The Time Keeper in my parents' bathroom. The premise sounded cool and I wanted to see if it was at all similar to my idea, so I took it and added it to my pile of to-read books. I have read Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven and though it wasn't my favourite book, it was pretty good and very imaginative.
  3. Dracula, Bram Stoker
    • Why: It's simple really. I love vampires, and I feel like I owe it to myself to read some classic vamp books and not just rely on Twilight and the Vampire Diaries for my vampire trivia. Right now I'm about five chapters in and it's alright. There's not enough hard-core vampire action yet for me, but it's decent.
  4. Allegiant, Veronica Roth
    • Why: Because Divergent is probably my favourite series and I've got to see if the last book lives up to its greatness!
  5. Lone Wolf, Jodi Picoult
    • Why: Jodi Picoult is my favourite author. I absolutely adore her books (at least most of the ones I've read). My mom bought Lone Wolf for me in 2012, but I never got around to reading it because I was super into fantasy/dystopian YA books at the time. But I am really craving a Picoult novel now. They always leave you with the full story, all perspectives. They make you think too. They are more than just good stories; they are well-researched pieces with interesting premises.
  6. Girls Like Us: Fighting for a World Where Girls are Not for Sale, an Activist Finds Her Calling and Heals Herself, Rachel Lloyd
    • Why: This book is the first-hand account of a woman who was sold into the sex trade. As much as a part of me does not want to read this at all because I know it will be disturbing and heart-wrenching, I know it is an important book to read. As a young woman, if I were in a different world, I could be in the same position Lloyd was in and so many other girls and boys are currently in. The Sex Trade is one of the worst forms of injustice out there. This is a dominant group taking advantage of the helpless––young girls, young boys, and women––for their own sick pleasure and for money.
  7. Paper Towns, John Green
    • Why: A simple, two-part answer. First, it's by John Green. I love John Green. Second, The protagonist and I share a last name. That's enough to draw me in. But also, the teenage, adventure, romance essence that I got from the synopsis reminds me of The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which I loved.
  8. The Story of My Experiments With Truth, Mahatma Ghandi
    • Why: Again, this is partially driven by my desire to break outside the box of fiction reading. I don't know a whole ton about the specifics of Ghandi's actions, but his story and legacy really interest me. After visiting India last summer, I am eager to learn a whole lot more about him. Everyone ought take a lesson from Ghandi, and I personally intend to be very enriched by his autobiography.
  9. The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath
    • Why: I am curious to read about mental illness as written by a woman who suffered from depression and eventually committed suicide. I imagine that The Bell Jar is as real and raw as it gets. It should be a very enlightening read. With the large number of people who suffer from mental illness (and the large percent of these people who suffer in silence), it is an important book to read. The other aspect of the book that really draws me in is the role of women in society and how the protagonist wants to break free from this mold. Society trying to force you into tiny a little box is something everyone can relate to.
  10. Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë
    • Why: Not a lot of the "classics" are written by women, so I want to make an effort to read the ones that are. Also, the storyline seems quite compelling with all the family drama. I find a lot of the classics have quite boring plots and are quite slow, so I'm hoping this one is a little more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment